Sunday, October 13, 2013

Ten Black Dots: A Math Mentor Text

Hi friends. It has been a beautiful weekend here.  I wish I could put October's weather in a bottle to keep always.  I'm heading back to school after a very speedy fall break.  But before I do, I'm linking up with the Collaboration Cuties for their weekly Mentor Text Linkup.
This linkup is a great resource if you are looking to expand your class library or if you are wanting new ideas for books that you already have.  The math text I would like to share is probably already in your library.  It's Ten Black Dots by Donald Crews.
This counting book features rhyming text and illustrations utilizing black dots.  It's fun to see the variety of ways the dots can be used.  And best of all, this simple concept lends itself perfectly to student creations.

I usually use this book during the first week or two of school with my first graders.  Some years the students' illustrations are used as stand alone artwork.  Some years I put them all together into a class book.

This activity is not an original idea.  But, it is one I really love.  Students always enjoy Ten Black Dots (the book and the accompanying activity).  It is a great way to reinforce number concepts to ten.  It is also a wonderful way to integrate math, literature, and art into one neat package.
For more math mentor text recommendations and activities, be sure to check out Collaboration Cuties.  Thanks for reading and have a great week.

2 comments:

  1. This book is a math mentor classic! I love the open-ended activity you shared- it allows students to recognize numbers in a way that's meaningful to them. What a great way to promote thinking :)
    Thanks for sharing,
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books that can turn into a math/literacy extension activity too. This book and idea are classic for a reason - thanks for sharing your student samples!

    ReplyDelete