Saturday, May 3, 2014

Five for Friday with Two Freebies to Snag

Yikes! It has been nearly two weeks since I had a moment to post some of our class happenings.  I suppose it's that time of year.  Flexibility at school seems to be the name of the game and there are loads of outside activities going on with my little family.
So I set myself a goal to link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching's weekly Five for Friday and I'm trying to actually linkup on Friday.  It's getting late, we'll see . . .

Number 1
We use The Daily Five in my classroom.  During word work, I put out a combination of hands on manipulatives, the Ipad, and a couple of written assignments.  Students eventually complete all the activities before starting over again.
I was needing a few new written assignments to get me through the end of the year, so I put together Work Work It 2 {Five Word Work Activities}.

This FREE packet is at my Teachers Pay Teachers Store and includes five printables that can be used for spelling practice, word work, or even as homework.  Below is a pic of the activities featured in Word Work It 2.  If you are interested, there is also a companion set of activities, Word Work It {5 Free Word Work Activities}, which is at my store as well.


Number 2
This week we have been working on the oi & oy diphthongs.  We primarily used my OI and OY Roundup.  Students worked on various centers, word sorts, and a write the room activity to reinforce their understanding of the /oi/ sound.  This packet is loaded with quality practice and its cowboy theme always seems go over well with my firsties.  Click on the picture below for more information.

Number 3
On Friday we spent time leaning about the Kentucky Derby and doing some Derby themed activities.  We read a couple of horse related books to start the day and worked on some Derby inspired math and literacy centers.

I also used Babbling Abby's Derby Days.  It is a great resource and included a few fun craftivities. We made the horse headbands and the kids really loved them.


Number 4
I published my literacy centers for May (Flower Power {10 Literacy Centers for May} ) this week.  I change out my literacy centers and math centers monthly.  The students are always so excited to see what they have in store for them.
This month they will be focusing on contractions, synonyms, antonyms, compound words, fact & opinion, sight words, parts of speech, and more.
I have been working like crazy all year to create ten literacy centers and ten math centers for each month.  I am so happy to be near the end of this project and I'm even happier to have these resources to use with my students.
If you would like to check out what I have for May, click on the picture below.  There is also a set of May math centers at my store, if you are interested.

Number 5
Last year I put together and used a Cinco de Mayo math mini book.  It includes work with word problems and covers a variety of skills.  I will be using it again this year.  I really love to practice word problems using holiday themed math mini books.
If you would like a FREE copy of my Cinco de Mayo math mini book to use with your class, click on the picture below.  I think you'll enjoy it.


I guess that's it for now.  I hope you have a wonderful weekend.  If you are about to start state testing, best of luck to you.  Thanks so much for stopping by and be sure to check out some of the other posts at Doodle Bug Teaching's Five for Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment