Sunday, June 30, 2013

How I Spent My Summer Vacation: A Mentor Back to School Text and a FREE Writing Activity

Hi All.  This week's Mentor Text Linkup is a special edition.  It is featuring favorite back to school books.  I really had a hard time deciding which one to highlight.  I have a humongous collection of back to school books.  The first book I read to my new firsties is always First Day Jitters by Julie Dannegerg.  I also love the Kevin Henkes mouse books during the first week or two of school (and really any other time).
But this link up is for a Mentor Text not Mentor Texts.  I had to pick one.  So I chose How I Spent My Summer Vacation by Mark Teague.
This book has fab illustrations.  How I Spent My Summer Vacation tells the story of Wallace Bleff and his overly active imagination.  He spins a fun tale of being kidnapped by cowboys and his subsequent training as a cowhand.  He eventually shows up at a family barbecue with his cowboy crew in tow causing all sorts of excitement.
This book is really fun and the kids always respond well to it.  It is a great book to discuss inference as well.  
I like to use this book in conjunction with one of our first writing activities of the year, also titled "How I Spent My Summer Vacation."  I usually have my students complete and share their writing before I read the book aloud.  But of course, you can use this activity anyway you would like. 

If you would like a free copy of this writing activity, click on the picture below.

For more back to school text recommendations and activities visit Collaboration Cuties.

Thanks for reading.

10 comments:

  1. I love this book. Thank you for the freebie. I love using Kevin Henkes books during the first few weeks of school too!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about this book!! Thank you for the reminder! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the freebie, this is perfect for an activity I do with my kiddos during the second week of school!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great. I have seen this but haven't ever read it. Thank you for the freebie as well!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great book! :) Such a fun perspective! :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book! It's so cute (who doesn't love Mark Teague!)I love the imagination in this book! :O)

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not have this one and will be adding it to the classroom library! Thanks for sharing the freebie.

    Have a great week--
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't know why I haven't heard of this book! Looks great :)
    Thanks for the freebie.
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun book to share by a fabulous author!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We indeed have to put our best effort as to understanding and giving our complete effort as to explaining it more evidently so it will prove to be much better.

    ReplyDelete