Sunday, March 23, 2014

Mentor Texts for April Fool's Day and a Free Writing Craftivity

The last night of spring break, where did the time go?
Tomorrow is back to business.  I was going to do a little spring break recap, but I'll save that for another day.  I want to make sure I have time to linkup with the Collaboration Cuties for their weekly Must Read Mentor Text Linky.  This week's topic is social studies and I have fun book for (I think) the next upcoming holiday, April Fool's Day.
In first grade we learn about traditions and customs as part of our social studies standards.  A great way to learn about traditions and customs is through holidays.  One of my favorite read alouds to use for April Fool's Day is Barn Yard Fun by Maureen Wright.

This story follows Sheep as he plays pranks on all of the barnyard animals.  Until finally, Horse pays Sheep back for all of his jokes by giving him a poodle inspired haircut.  The illustrations in this story are very expressive.  The story is rhyming, so it is very fun for students to listen to.  If you haven't read this book before, I highly recommend checking it out.  You will be happy you have each year as April Fool's Day rolls around.

I also really like Rookie Reader-About Holidays books.  They are very simple and straightforward nonfiction texts that provide students with a basic understanding of the history, customs, and traditions of various holidays.  Rookie Read-About Holidays: April Fool's Day, by Melissa Schiller, is no exception to this formula.  It is also a useful little book to have in your class for April Fool's Day.


As far as April Fool's Day activities, last year my firsties did a little writing craftivity.  They wrote about April Fool's Day jokes that they have played or have been the victim of.  This year we may do this same craftivity as a spelling art project.  I haven't decided yet.
Below is a picture of the April Fool's Day craftivity we'll be making.  If you would like a free copy of the pattern, click on the picture.  Included in the pattern is a writing option or a spelling option.


It's getting late, so I'd better wrap it up.
Thanks so much for stopping by and be sure to visit the Collaboration Cuties for more books suggestions and loads of related classroom activities.

2 comments:

  1. I've got to get Barnyard Fun. I don't have even have one book in my own library about April Fools Day! The little craftivity is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barnyard Fun looks great! I will be putting it on my LONG list! I too like the Rookie Readers--great independent texts for some of my second grade readers. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete