Here are a few things that have been going on in my class this week . . .
Number 1I started prepping for our spelling art project for next week. I planned on using my Super Bowl Friends pattern. Once I opened it, I realized it needed a little update. Now that I made some changes and put together some samples, I'm ready to prep for my kids and share with you.
If you would like a FREE copy of my Super Bowl Friends Craftivity, you can click on the picture below. (This simple pattern includes a spelling practice page, a Super Bowl prediction page, and a Super Bowl Sunday writing page.)
Number 2This week we learned about Martin Luther King Jr. We read about him and discussed his bravery. Students wrote about him and made a cute craftivity to display their dreams for a better world. My young learners did a great job.
If you would like a FREE copy of this activity, it is at my Teachers Pay Teachers store.
We incorporated MLK into our math time as well. We did some work with place value and expanded form. I put together this partner activity where we matched numbers and expanded form equations. The kids did really well, but we still have quite a bit more work to do with expanded form.
(I've also linked this activity as a FREEBIE. If you're interested in using it with your students, click on the picture below.)
It may not look like much but, I've finally gotten around to making early finisher totes. I've always wanted these kind of "dessert activities." However, finding the time to put them together just never seemed to happen.
At this point, the totes consist of math activities. I found some of them at Amazon (published by Scholastic). I am also using dice games and geoboard activities from Jennifer at First Grade Blue Sky.
I found these adorable totes at target that fit perfectly on an empty shelf. Dice games go in the blue. Everything else goes in the green.
I'm really excited to see how these activities work out. I'm also curious to know how long it will be before I have to change them out or add to them. But for now, I'm at a good starting point.
We just wrapped up our second week of work with R-controlled vowels. AR was the focus this week. A go-to the resources we've been using to practice R-controlled vowels has been my Words at Work packets.
I've been working on these packets since this summer. I'm trying to put together a consistent set of anchor activities for all of the main phonics skills we hit in first grade. They have been a great supplemental resource for my students.
If you would like more details about my R-controlled vowels Words at Work packets, you can click on one of the pictures below. (Also, be on the lookout for the Words at Work R-Controlled Vowel Mega Bundle. Putting all these activities together into one neat and tidy packet is next on my list.)
I guess that's about it, except for a big thanks to Doodle Bugs Teaching for hosting Five for Friday each week. It's always so fun to read about what is going on in other classrooms.