Thursday, May 28, 2020

Teacher Approved Classroom Essentials for Under $30



*Please note...some of these items have increased in cost since the original post in 2020.

Well, it's been an interesting few months (to say the least).
Between early March and late May, I (like most of you) have not been allowed to step foot in my (our) classroom(s). I (we) have been teaching from home without the benefit of classroom materials and resources.
After everything wrapped up and we finished up our school year, I started thinking about some of those materials and resources. It was interesting to me that I could conduct "class" without most of my stuff.  Of course distance learning was (and will continue to be) a completely different experience than classroom learning. In distance learning, materials are definitely minimal. Onsite/classroom learning includes more teacher "must-haves" to keep things running smoothly.
With all of that said, here are some of my favorite classroom essentials. They are in no particular order.
The Time Timer
I love this timer. It comes in a variety of sizes. I use it in small groups. I use it during writing time, I use it during centers. It REALLY helps my students and me manage our time. The timer provides a perfect visual for students. The Time Timer is absolutely one of my favorite classroom essentials.
You can click here to check it out.






Paper Trays
I use these trays all the time.  I have about 20 basic ones and I have one set of colored trays.  I use the he basic ones to collect and sort student work.  You can also find them on my teacher desk for miscellaneous notes, handouts, etc.  I use the colored ones to set out differentiated materials for students.  The colors make it really easy students to know which materials to access for their specific assignments.
Click here for the basic paper trays.
Click here for the colored paper trays.






Paper Cutter
If you make centers, task cards, write the room activities, or crafts, a paper cutter saves a ton of time. I used to own one that did not have a guide wire for cutting. I upgraded to one with a guide wire a couple of years ago and it saves me even more time. I actually have one a home too for when I'm prepping activities away from school.  My paper cutters get plenty of use.
Click here for a link my favorite paper cutter.





Laminator and Laminating Pouches
I get so, so, so much use out of my personal laminator. I mainly use it for materials students handle, like centers and task cards. The laminate film is so much stronger than the big laminator at our school. Plus the convince of being able to laminate things whenever I need to makes a laminator (and laminating pouches) classroom essentials.
Click here for the laminator.
Click here for affordable laminate pouches.





Board Game Zipper Bags
These zipper pouches are an affordable way to store classroom board games and pieces. Let's face it, board game boxes do not hold up well and they take up a little bit too much space. Game board zipper bags are a great way to store and organize games.  
*It's important to look at the size of the bags and the measurements of your games. For larger game boards (like Chutes and Ladders) you will want the A3 size bag.
Click here for more details about board game zipper bags.





Magnets
Ok, maybe not very thrilling, but they are super useful. I use magnets on my white boards, my easel, and my classroom door frame. I post student work, anchor carts, and posters with my magnets. I really can't have enough around. They just make life a little easier.
Click here for classroom magnets.






File Box and Hanging Folders
There are a thousand uses for a file box in a classroom, so you'll probably need a few. I have file boxes for student writing (that becomes individual portfolios at the end of the year). I have one that is my sub tote. I have one that I share with my assistant, where we store student information, notes, etc. 
I'm sure I'm probably forget one, but the point is...there are loads of ways to to use file boxes in a classroom. 
To go along with the file box, I really like colorful hanging files. I'm gradually replacing all of my old green hanging files. The colorful one do help me organize myself more easily and I like the way they look.
Click here for a basic file box.
Click here for colorful hanging files.





The EZ Grader
An oldie but a goodie for sure. These little slide graders have been around forever. EZ Graders are really convenient and easy to use. They are a teacher must-have.
Click here for the EZ GRADER.







Dry Erase Pouches, Dry Erase Markers, and Reusable Makeup Pads
If you are of a fan of saving paper, you need to get dry erase pouches. Handouts can be used over and over agin with these pouches. I do have individual dry erase boards in my classroom, but these pouches serve a different purpose. 
Of course dry erase markers are needed if you are using these pouches.  
In my class, students use makeup pads as erases for dry erase markers.  Every once in a while I bring them home and wash them.  Again, convenient, easy to use, and affordable.
Click here for dry erase pouches.
Click here for class set of dry erase markers.
Click here for reusable makeup pads.






Velcro Shapes
There are all different sizes, shapes, and colors of these velcro shapes. Some of these shapes have numbers or letter printed on them. You can also write on them or leave them plain. You can use them in so many ways. 
Currently my students have velcro stars assigned to them at our gathering area. I also use the velcro spots as makers for students' desks. Students tend to "drive" their desks around the room. The spots provide a visual on the floor, so that students know where their desks belong.
Velcro shapes are a wonderful classroom management tool.
Click here for velcro shapes.




A Megaphone
My megaphone stays in my playground bag. It get's 99% of it's use on the playground. I love it. Years ago we all brought whistles to the playground. Most of the time it would take quite a few white blasts to get students' attention.  
The megaphone is way more effective. While most of the time I'm just using it to announce it's time to line up, sometimes I'm using it to prevent an accident that might be about to happen. 
I think a playground megaphone really ups the safety factor at recess.
Click here for a teacher friendly megaphone.




There you have it, some of my favorite classroom essentials under $30. I hope these suggestions are useful to you.  Teachers must spend their money very wisely.  All of these recommendations are items I would buy again in a heartbeat, because they have either saved me time, helped me stay organized, kept my students engaged, and/or supported my classroom management. Basically they are teacher approved. :)





Thanks for stopping by and take care.




School Is a Happy Place is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associated Program, an affiliate program that allows this site to earn advertising fees.
Please know that all of the recommendations on this site are authentic and come from personal experience.

3 comments:

  1. Hi.
    Sorry the links wouldn't work for you. I just checked them and they worked on my end.
    Thank you for reaching out.
    A. Monroe

    ReplyDelete
  2. LInks didn't work for me either but I love your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well bummer.
    Technology is great when it works. :)
    Thanks for letting me know.
    All of the resources can be found at Amazon.
    Thanks.
    A. Monroe

    ReplyDelete