Saturday, October 25, 2014

Learning from the Master

Hi all.
I'm just back from an SDE conference for first grade teachers.  I got the flier in my school mailbox during the first week of school.  I read that Ms. Cara Carroll from The First Grade Parade was to be one of the presenters, so I signed up right away.
Over two days, she presented 8 sessions.  She talked about guided reading, math, phonics, vocabulary, writing, anchor activities, sight words, and classroom management.  Every session was fabulous.  She had so many ideas and activities to share.  She brought several examples of the activities for us to get a closer look at.  She also had a few make-and-take activities for us.
It was so awesome to be at a professional development that covered specific activities to use for specific skills.  
Cara was more than happy to talk to teachers between the sessions and answer questions.  
I can't wait to start implementing some of the strategies she suggested.  (I'm really focusing in on the anchor activities.  I'll be sure to share if I have success with them.)
If you get a chance to see Cara Carroll present, it is totally worth your time and the effort it takes to get ready for a sub.  I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for opportunities to learn from her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment