Friday, August 23, 2013

Colorful Kids: A Free Behavior Clip Chart and Reward Coupons

Ah . . .  I've made it through the first three weeks of school.  The first three weeks and the last three weeks always seem to be the most hectic.  I may not have everything up and going yet, but it's getting there.
One thing I do have up and going is my behavior management system and I thought I might share.  To begin with, I use the (certainly not original) color coded clip chart.
All students start their day on green.  They can move their clips up or down depending on their behavior.  I'm not going to go into specifics about consequences.  I really feel like that detail is very personal to you and your student population.
In my class, if one of my little sweeties is not acting so sweet and has made his way down the chart, I do allow the opportunity to move back up.  For my students, this chance for redemption is often motivating enough to regain some self control.
If a student is having a very good day.  Doing what is expected without being asked or going over and beyond, that student can move up the chart to blue, then purple.  If a student ends the day on purple he gets to add a jewel sticker to his clip (again, not an original idea).  When he has collected five jewels, he gets a special reward.  In my class it is in the form of a reward coupon.
Students can choose from a small list of reward choices that I then write on the coupon.  Students can redeem their coupon whenever they want.
sample reward coupons
Students also get to keep their bejeweled clip and start on a new one.  I send a note to the parents and attach the clip to it so they can celebrate their kiddos' accomplishments.  My students are really proud when they earn a jewel or fill up their clip and so am I.
If you would like a free copy of my clip chart, reward coupons, and parent note home, you can click on the picture below.

Clarity, consistency, and personal connections are important factors in effective classroom management.  This packet was created with each of these factors in mind.  I hope it can be of some use.
Best.

2 comments:

  1. Consistency is the key for good classroom management. Without it, you will not be effective. I love how your kids earn those jewels for making good choices. How creative! Thanks for sharing your behavior management system! It's hard to believe you have been back for 3 weeks. I just finished my first week!

    Karen

    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come join in on the fun today and link up. I would love to read your words of inspiration. http://thenewprincipalprinciples.blogspot.com/2013/08/lets-make-statement.html

    ReplyDelete