Sunday, November 10, 2013

10 Fat Turkeys: A Must Read Mentor Math Text and a Turkeytastic Freebie

Sunday evening.  Wow does the weekend fly or what?!  Before I attempt to turn in for the evening, I'm joining with the Collaboration Cuties for their weekly Must Read Mentor Text Link Up.  It's the second Sunday of the month, so I'll be sharing about a math text.
Since it is November, my pick is 10 Fat Turkeys by Tony Johnston.

This rhyming book follows 10 funny turkeys as they, one by one, fall off the fence where they are perched.  This text has a nice rhythm and a fun repetition that students enjoy.  The illustrations are very detailed and give each turkey a unique personality.

Pictured below is an activity to go along with 10 Fat Turkeys.  It is a basic turkey pattern that can be used for many other skills.  In this case my students will write subtraction equations that reflect what is happening in the story on each feather.  

If you would like a free copy of this pattern, click on the picture below.  This pattern is fairly open ended and works for more than subtraction facts.  You can use it for other math skills, spelling words, sight words, parts of speech, etc.

I hope this book and activity can be useful to you as we get closer to Thanksgiving.  Speaking of thanks, I like to thank the Collaboration Cuties for hosting this link up.  I have found so many great books and activities through the fab teachers that share each week.  

5 comments:

  1. We use that book, too. It's so cute. Thank you for the freebie! Our Thanksgiving is over but I'll use it next year:)
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the free turkey! We are going to use it next week during our Multiplication Unit as one of our centers. I'm sure the students will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Glad big kids are getting to have a little turkey fun as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is roberta.morehead@fulton.kyschools.us
    Is this still available? I would love a copy. Thank you

    ReplyDelete