Sunday, September 22, 2013

Christopher Columbus Mentor Texts and a Free Literacy Center

Hi all.  It's Sunday and time for Collaboration Cutie's Mentor Text Linkup.  I love this linkup because it has introduced me to some great new books and authors.  This week's topic is Social Studies Texts.  My picks to share are selections about Christopher Columbus.
Young Christopher Columbus by Eric Carpenter is one book I go to every year.  It is an easy to understand nonfiction account of Columbus' life.  Some Columbus biographies are a bit too wordy for my students.  Young Christopher Columbus is concise, yet provides enough information.


Another book I like to use is My First Biography: Christopher Columbus by Marion Dane Baurer.  This text is favorite because of the simplicity.  The illustrations are nice the information helps reinforce the important facts about Columbus' achievement.
On a side note, this book is part of a series of My First Biography books.


Columbus Day (Rookie Read-About Holidays) by Christina Mia Gardeski is another great read aloud to use during your study of Columbus.  There are facts about Columbus and information about why and how we honor him with his own special day.  In contrast to the other books, this one uses photographs.  Like the other books, it is brief but gets the point across.


Finally, is Junie B. First Grader, Shipwrecked by Barbara Park.  Junie B. Jones, oh how I love you, let me count the ways . . .
This book follows Junie B. and her class mates as they put on a play about Christopher Columbus.  There are a few facts about Christopher Columbus in this story, but mainly it is just fun.  I recommend starting this book with your class during your study of Columbus.

There you have it, a Christopher Columbus reading list for your young learners.  If you are interested in more social studies text recommendations, head over to Collaboration Cuties.

Almost forgot, if you would like a free Columbus themed literacy center (working with initial digraphs) click on the picture below.  Thanks for reading and have a great week.

1 comment:

  1. Thank so very much for sharing these wonderful texts and the freebie! I will tell the first grade teachers in my building to stop over... :0)

    Smiles,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete