Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Daily Five: The First Days of Picking Books

Hi friends.  Hope you are doing well.  I wanted to share a couple of little Daily Five tips since many of us are in the beginning stages of it with our kiddos.  These tips focus on students picking books for their book boxes.
The first tip is to limit your library for a bit of time as students pick their books.  My students pick new books for their boxes once a week.  They pick every Friday.  I have about twenty different totes of books in my class library.  They are all divided and labeled clearly.  At the beginning of the year, I tell the students about the contents of each box.  However, I do not allow students to pick out of all twenty totes in the beginning.  It would be just too overwhelming.
Instead, I usually put out about six totes for students to choose from.  I allow them to pick six books.  Over the next weeks I add one tote a week until all the totes have been introduced.  Limiting the number of the totes helps the book selection process keep moving along.
In addition, I tell students they can bring a book from home to leave in their book boxes.  Our librarian also allows them to pick an extra book each week from the school library that they can keep at school in their book boxes.


As far as teaching students to pick appropriate books, I love the lesson presented by the authors of The Daily Five.  However, I found another little resource.  BrainPOP Jr. has a video lesson about picking "good fit books."  This video reinforces all the points you will want to impress upon students when picking books:  interest level, purpose, readability, etc.

To be honest with you, picking appropriate, on level books is a challenge for young students.  I review my Good Fit books anchor chart every week before students beginning picking books.  The BrainPOP video is also a great quick little review.  Continuing to review and discuss what makes a book a good fit will eventually help students make quality choices.
Best.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the video- I love brainpop and didn't realize they had this one!
    Karli :)
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! We are working on good fit books now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Moby and Annie! I will be teaching this lesson on Monday. I will have to introduce my class to these characters then!

    Karen

    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like your kids have a great structure for picking new books! We love Brain Pop Jr. We will definitely have to watch the "Good Fit Books" lesson on there! We have always found this to be hard for first graders, but we realize how important it is! Have a great week!
    Tamra and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your blog!! Quick question, how do you organize your library? I'm in the process of doing that and can't decide wether to level it or organize it by themes. BTW, I'm Debby Craig's DIL, SO glad she introduced me to your blog. You have GREAT ideas! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing kids so excited about books! Thanks so much for sharing the BrainPop Jr. video--my kids will love it!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete