Monday, September 2, 2013

George and Martha: A Language Arts Mentor Text and a Literacy Center Freebie

Happy Labor Day weekend.  I just got back from a family get together where I saw my sweet cousin (who is now a middle school guidance counselor).  She and I grew up very close and seeing her reminded me of some of my favorite childhood characters, James Marshall's George and Martha.  I knew I just had to share them during this week's Mentor Text link up.


I remember reading these books with my cousin and being totally cracked up.  When I finally got my own classroom, the George and Martha anthology was one of the first books I bought.
These books offer loads of opportunities for various ELA lessons and activities.  To begin with, the reading level is great for primary students.  Sequencing, drawing conclusions, vocabulary development, comparisons, and inferences are just some of the skills that can be touched on with these simple and awesomely illustrated books.
Below you will find a sentence order activity I created to go along with the George and Martha books.  Click on picture for your own FREE copy.

Students will sort the cards by matching pictures and them put them in the correct order.  After ordering the sentence, students can identify each sentence type and complete the recording sheet.  

These books are not new, but if you like James Marshall's clever humor in Miss Nelson is Missing, you will want to add George and Martha to your class library.

Here is the scoop . . .

For more Mentor Text recommendations be sure to stop by Collaboration Cuties.

Enjoy your last weekend of summer.

4 comments:

  1. Love these books! I still have my own copies from when I was a kid and they are now in my class library! :)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read one of these books! It looks like I must be missing out!! I'll at least need to get them for my personal kids!

    Thanks so much for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had completly forgot about this series! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to head to our school library to see if I can find them! Thanks for the great freebie too! Hope you are enjoying your day off!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete