Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Bye-Bye Beach Blanket: A Math Mini Book Freebie

Are your students ready for word problems in math the first week of school?  Absolutely!  
Of course depending on your students' age and ability levels, some may need your support more than others.  If you are looking for a fun way to introduce word problems to your students, checkout my FREE mini book below.
Each page features a different way to practice numbers and counting, as well as pattern making and telling time to the hour.  
You can click on the picture for your own free copy.

*My Tips for Word Problems*
1.  Mini books are one of my favorite ways of working my word problems in my first grade class.  We usually work on them together as a whole group for the majority of the year.  I use my document camera and work right along with the students.  (Please, note I give my students lots of think time and work time before I start sharing solutions with them.)
2.  We share ideas and strategies.  I want students to see all the different ways to solve word problem.  When I see variation in student work, (and I always do) students will come up and put their mini book under the doc camera to show and explain how they solved the problem.
3.  The first time we work on word problems I focus on circling the "important" information and underlining the question.  From that point on, that's what I want the students to do.  I stay really consistent with that expectation.
Word problems can be rewarding when you see students applying the various strategies they have been working on in your class.


If you would like to see more ideas and suggestions for teaching word problems or better yet you would like to share something you do with word problems, visit Amber at Synonym Rolls & Antonym Moments.  She is hosting her first linkup and I'm sure she would love for you to join in.

Math Revelation Linky Button

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of integrating reading with math by creating mini books with word problems! Thanks for the freebie and for linkin up!
    SynonymRolls&AntonymMoments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the mini book Amber! Our district is really emphasizing word problems this year and we start out the year teaching them. I'm a little overwhelmed with that idea, but I like how you encourage students to share their ideas for solving the problems. I also like that gradual release of responsibility. Your mini book will be a great resource to have when school starts back!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love teaching word problems!! Your mini books looks super! Thanks for the freebie!

    Sarah
    A Sunny Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete