Sunday, July 21, 2013

How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: A Science Mentor Text

Hi Friends.  I'm not going to bring you down by telling you how few days I have left for summer break.  Instead, I'm trying to get my good attitude on.  One way to stop focusing on the end of a summer is to look forward.

Thinking about wonderful books for my class is a nice way to look forward.  Read alouds are really my favorite time of the day.  The students are always so engaged, it is so rewarding to see their connections to fabulous books.
Speaking of fabulous books, I'm linking up with the Collaboration Cuties weekly Mentor Text Linkup to share a favorite science text.  My choice this week is How Did That Get In My Lunchbox? by Chris Butterworth.


In my class we do work with nutrition at the beginning of the year.  How Did That Get In My Lunchbox? traces the path of food from farm to school and is perfect for this topic.  It gives a closer look at parts of plants, and food/nutrition related vocabulary.  The illustrations are colorful and fun.  
Even better, How Did that Get In My Lunchbox? can do double duty as a resource for your class' study of economics.  Don't you love books that can be brought out again later in the year?  
Since we're on the topic of food, D and I went to an event last night that was very yummy.  It was a fundraiser for the Southern Foodways Alliance which is dedicated to the preservation of southern foodways and recipes.
It was a dinner with five courses featuring five different top chefs in our area.  Date nights are rare and we had a fab time.

But enough about my weekend.  Here's the scoop on my science pick for this week.
For more science text recommendations, be sure to head over to Collaboration Cuties.
Have a great week.

11 comments:

  1. This book looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing about it!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so cute! I love the text features and that it shows what it means! Cute!

    Thanks for linking up
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had planned on using this text as well, this fall. Have you heard of comparing this book & it's info to a McDonald's Happy Meal? I'm considering doing something like that as a hook to get kids excited/engaged in the book& the nutrition lesson! I'm hoping it will spark conversations/investigations about healthy/unhealthy choices...not EVERYthing in a Happy Meal is completely UNhealthy, but it would n
    be fun to compare/contrast Happy Meals to a packed or school lunch!
    SynonymRolls&AntonymMoments

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. I will have to grab a copy for next year when I teach my human body unit.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is super cute. I'll have to check into it for our nutrition unit.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber, you always have such great books to share! This is another one! It will be great to use when we are talking about healthy foods! Thanks for sharing!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great book. I will have to read it next year. I just found your blog through the linky. I am your newest follower and can't wait to read more post. If you get a chance I would love for you to come over and check out my blog. Thanks for sharing.

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a great book. I will have to check it out for our nutrition unit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the illustrations!
    How great would it be to have students take a day and trace their own lunch, their dinner or a particular meal?
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this book--thanks for sharing! I almost never comment on blogs but couldn't resist telling you how much I liked the quote you used by Gordon B. Hinckley at the beginning of your post. I love so many of his quotes and have several books written by either he or his wife Margorie. If you ever are looking for some more positive inspiration, you would be sure to find that from either of them. I wish you a very happy school year but hope that you get to savor every last precious summer moment too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the quote that you used on your post. I need that on my fridge! Great book-a for sure purchase for our nutrition unit! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete