Sunday, July 14, 2013

This Plus That Life's Little Equations: A Math Mentor Text

Hi Friends.  I'm sorry to say I am on the count down to the end of summer break.  I have just about a week and a half left.  But, on the upside, I have some great new books that I am excited to introduce to my first graders.  Books that I found thanks to the mentor recommendations through the Collaboration Cuties' weekly mentor text link up.
This week's link up is for math texts.  My pick is Amy Krouse Rosenthal's This Plus That: Life's Little Equations.
This book is a whimsical introduction to mathematical equations.  The equations create conceptional relationships rather than numeric relationships.  The illustrations are lovely and warm in tone.  This Plus That is a good jumping off point to have students come up with their own little life equation.


This text is a great companion to another one of my favorite math read alouds, 1 + 1 = 5 and Other Unlikely Additions by David LaRochelle.  I like to read This Plus That at the onset of our class' work with addition.  I read 1 + 1 = 5 and Other Unlikely Additions after the students have a firm grip on the concept of adding.  If you would like to read more about this text and an accompanying activity click here.  These are two fun texts that your students will love.

Here's the scoop on this week's mentor text . . .

For more mentor text recommendations, visit Collaboration Cuties.

Thanks for reading.

13 comments:

  1. This book looks super cute. I am sure your kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A week and a half left of summer, yes your time in winding down. I didn't get out until mid June so I don't return until the last of August. Adorable book!

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks adorable! You only have a week and a half left!?! Enjoy what's left of your summer!

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to check these books out! Thank for posting!
    Kheila
    Two Friends In First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda! Love that book!!! I've got to order it NOW! Your little one must be excited for kindergarten!! Big step for everyone. I can't believe your summer is almost gone! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks super cute! Perfect for the beginning of the year! We go back in 2 weeks so I am feeling your pain!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber, I love your mentor text choices! I pinned both of your books so I can go back to them later one. I absolutely love integrating literature into math! Thanks for sharing those books! I hope you enjoy your last few week and half! Make sure you take time to do something just for you!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have these books in my cart right now, can not wait to get them and use them this school year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Amber, thank you so much for sharing "This Plus That." I am definitely getting that one. I got the other and love it. Enjoy this last week and a half! :)
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  10. We can't wait to read this! So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this book. Check these out: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/This-Plus-That-Lifes-Little-Equations-Worksheets-911955
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete